Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

SAMPLE--Short student statement

ORIGINAL

PET is an exam for people who can use everyday written and spoken English at an intermediate level. It covers all four language skills — reading, writing, listening and speaking. Preparing for the exam is a popular way to develop and improve your language skills because it provides practical language practice in a variety of everyday work, study and leisure situations.

PET reflects the use of language in real life, such as understanding signs and announcements, and is accepted by many employers as proof of ability to use English in clerical, secretarial or managerial jobs. It is also widely accepted for use in jobs where spoken English is necessary such as tourism, retail, construction, manufacturing and engineering.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX, I’m 18 years old and the reason I would like to take the first test is because I’ve already taken the pet test, and fortunately I passed successfully. Now I would like to take the first test because I want a higher level English test.

I love to study languages, because I get to know more about different cultures, and someday when I go out of México be able to speak other languages whit people native in other cities, And also use all this knowledge of languages for my career is really important, I’m always interacting whit people because I’m studying my degree in tourism and its really important to me to be able to speak whit them and also transmit them about Mexican culture. It’s really fascinating for me the exchange of cultural information that it’s created whit a native person and a foreign one, just whit a conversation.

English it’s a language that I’ve learned since I was 5 or 6, until now and I’m still practicing and studying, I found the English an international fascinating language, it open you a lot of doors, and you are able to communicate whit a lot of people, I would like to increase more and more my English level, and also do all the tests and requirements that I’ve to do, for someday go to an exchange to a foreign city, and once I get there practice all the skills that I’ve being learning here whit all the native people from there, and increase my skills and knowledge about the language, and maybe work on a tourism enterprise over there.

Recently I began studying French and I would like to speak it as well as I speak English. Currently I’ve being practicing my English to not forget or lose the knowledge that I have already. One of my goals is to speak with fluently the languages that I would like to learn, and keep practicing and learning more because I will love to learn more about them and practice them in my career.

REVISION

PET is an exam for people who can use everyday written and spoken English at an intermediate level. It covers all four language skills — reading, writing, listening and speaking. Preparing for the exam is a popular way to develop and improve your language skills because it provides practical language practice in a variety of everyday work, study and leisure situations.

PET reflects the use of language in real life, such as understanding signs and announcements, and is accepted by many employers as proof of ability to use English in clerical, secretarial or managerial jobs. It is also widely accepted for use in jobs where spoken English is necessary such as tourism, retail, construction, manufacturing and engineering.

[The above paragraphs seem to be copied from a source. They appear as if they are yours. Quote them, or say this in your own words. If you do not, it looks like you are saying "I can write like this and this is mine", which is not true.]

My name is XXXXX XXXXX, and I’m 18 years old. The reason I would like to take the first test is because I’ve already taken the PET test, and fortunately I passed successfully. Now I would like to take the first[second?] test because I want to show I have a higher level of English.

I love to study languages because I get to know more about different cultures. And someday when I go out[travel outside of] of Mexico, I want to be able to speak other languages with people native to other cities[places?]. I also want to use all this knowledge of languages, for my career is really important. I’m always interacting with people because I’m studying for a degree in tourism, and it's really important for me to be able to speak with others and talk with them about Mexican culture. It’s really fascinating for me, the exchange of cultural information that is created with a native speaker and a foreigner just in conversation.

I have been learning English since I was 5 or 6 up until now. And I’m still practicing and studying. I found English fascinating as an international language. It opens a lot of doors for you, and you are able to communicate with a lot of people. I would like to increase my English level more and more, and also do all the tests and requirements that I have to do. Someday I want to go on an exchange to a foreign city, and once I get there practice all the skills that I’ve been learning. I want to talk with all the people there and increase my skills and knowledge about the language, maybe work in a tourism enterprise.

Recently I began studying French, and I would like to speak it as well as I speak English. Currently I’ve been practicing my English in order not to forget or lose the knowledge that I have already. One of my goals is to speak with fluency the languages that I have been studying because I will love to learn more about them and use them in my career.